The rapid spread of relativism shouldn't surprise us. While relativism grows out of the heady freethinking of some of our culture's brightest minds, it feeds on the collapse of everyday norms. It results from the breakdown of the family brought on by divorce, illegitimacy, and the neglect of children happening in all strata of our society. The instability and insecurity our youngest generations have experienced have severely affected their ability to loveand to work—and, I believe—to appreciate the existence of objective truth.One young woman, a punk rocker, depressingly expressed this reality when she said, "I belong to the Blank Generation". I have no beliefs, I belong to no community, tradition, or anything like that. I'm lost in this vast, vast world. I belong nowhere. I have absolutely no identity.
—Paul Copan, True For You , But Not For Me. (Minn: Bethany House Pub., 1998)
- ► 2017 (47)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- Is God Limited by the Laws of Physics?
- A Mostly Lethal Universe Does Not Disprove Design
- Islam's Claims of Biblical Corruption Actually Imp...
- What Archaeology Cannot Tell Us About the Bible
- What Archaeology Can Tell Us About the Bible
- The "Big Bang" in Jews Worshiping Jesus as God
- God Outwits Ann Coulter on Ebola
- Mormonism, Hell, and God's Holiness
- Does Being Old Disqualify the Bible's Teachings?
- The Missing Piece in the Hillsong Controversy
- Why Christians Need to Grow Intellectually (video)
- The Christian Faith Is an Objective Faith
- The Problems with Open Theism
- Book Review: Questioning the Bible
- People Who Think Killing Babies for Pleasure is OK
- The Rosetta Stone, SETI, and the Existence of God
- Why We Need to Grow Beyond Mac and Cheese Christia...
- The Explosion in Apologetics Education (video)
- Hot Button Issues in Islam
- Levitical Laws, Slavery, and Sexual Prohibitions
- Why do Christians Condemn Slavery?
- Message Systems Come from Minds
- Moral Laws Necessitate a Moral Lawgiver
- Why Morality Must be Objective
- Relativism's Roots lie in a Valueless Culture
- Top Five Apologetics Posts for September
- Why Understanding the Imago Dei is More Crucial th...
- Are We Not to Judge Unbelievers?
- The Future, Cyborgs, and Satanism
- ▼ October (29)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Sunday, October 05, 2014
Relativism's Roots lie in a Valueless Culture
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!