Personally, I find it on any showing quite ludicrous to suppose that, for nineteen of Christendom's twenty centuries, Christians were credulous idiots ready to believe any tomfoolery the Bible fostered, and that then, with the coming of Darwinism and all that followed therefrom, the scales fell from their eyes, and they realised that the Biblical truths they had been induced to accept were largely fraudulent and absurd. For one thing, it would seem to me that our twentieth century, far from being notable for scientific scepticism, is one of the most credulous eras in all history. It is not that people believe in nothing — which would be bad enough — but that they believe in anything — which is really terrible. Recoiling, as they do, from accepting the validity of miracles, and priding themselves on seeing the Incarnation as a transcendental con-trick, they will accept at its face value any proposition, however nonsensical, that is presented in scientific or sociological jargon — for instance, the existence of a population explosion, which has been so expertly and decisively demolished by Professor Colin Clark of Monash University. Could any mediaeval schoolman, I ask myself, sit through a universally applauded television series like Bronowski's Ascent of Man without a smile of derision at such infantile acceptance of unproven and unprovable assertions? Not to mention television advertisements, on a basis of which the most expensively educated populations in the western world alter their dietary and sartorial habits, puff happily at lethal cigarettes recommended as being conducive to romantic encounters by burbling waterfalls or on golden beaches washed by azure seas, and generally follow every whim and fancy wished upon them by the tellymasters.1
- ► 2017 (47)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- The Epidemic of Relativism Among Christian Youth
- Why a Good Bible Translation is Not Enough
- Why Modern Man is More Gullible than Christian Bel...
- The Heresies of Mormonism
- Why Our Culture's Value of Feelings Will Be Its Do...
- ISIS, Jihad, and the Model of Muhammad
- Amazing Evidence of God in the Design of Our World
- Three Ways Our Universe is Designed for Life
- Two Key Problems with Darwinism (video)
- Values so Shockingly Consistent They Make the News
- Why the Darwinist Version of Life's Origin is Anti...
- The Danger of Colleges and Faux Virtue
- Two More Ways Learning to Defend Your Faith Benefi...
- Four Ways Learning to Defend Your Faith Benefits You!
- How to Talk about Faith on Facebook
- The Heart of Christian Mystery
- True Freedom Requires Work
- Want to Love God More Fully? Then Engage Your Mind!
- The Bible Commands Us More Than Once to Defend Our...
- Reason and Faith Are Not Opposites
- Gay College Prof Indoctrinating Students
- Top Five Blog Posts for August
- The Strength of a Cumulative Case
- If You Ignore the Trinity, You Ignore the Gospel
- Ten Books That Have Influenced Me in Unique Ways
- 10 Conflicting Beliefs of Modern Atheism
- Taking a Chance that There is No God
- ▼ September (27)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Sunday, September 28, 2014
Why Modern Man is More Gullible than Christian Believers
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!