From Ganssle, Gregory E. Thinking about God: First Steps in Philosophy. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2004. Print. 16.
There are other reasons to think about God besides trying to figure out if there is such a person. What you believe and think about God affects nearly every area of your life. Many of the big and deep questions that shape how each of us sees the world are very closely related to questions about God. For example, it is a big and important question whether life has any meaning or purpose other than whatever meaning we give it ourselves. If we push this question very far, we will wind up thinking about God. If there is a God who created us and knows us, then whatever purpose we have will probably be related to whatever purpose he has for us. Another big and important question has to do with the nature of moral reality. Are there things that are right or wrong regardless of the opinions of others? Again, if God has a purpose for us, it might be that his purpose involves our living up to or reflecting moral reality. You can see that the question of God is a central question. If we want to think well about our lives, we will want to do some of our best thinking about God.
- ► 2017 (47)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- 2014 Top Ten Apologetics Blog Posts
- Get Smarter by Practicing Doing Nothing
- Is Christmas a Pagan Holiday? (Podcast)
- Why Thinking About God Matters
- 2014 Top Five Apologetics Podcasts
- Enjoy the Trappings of Christmas
- Why It Must Be a Manger
- You Just Might Be Celebrating a Japanese Christmas
- To Witness Like Jesus, Use Logic and Reason
- Jesus as the Paradigm of Logic and Reason
- A (Not Too) Serious Christmas Quiz
- How Can I Celebrate Peace on Earth With Tragedy In...
- Why Naturalism is Simply Unbelievable
- What the 'Atheist Invocation' Really Demonstrates
- The Resurrection is Central to the History of Jesus
- The Date of Christmas has Nothing to Do with Pagan...
- The Christmas Faith-Defending Challenge
- Monkeys, Typewriters, and Assumptions
- Why Miracles May Be More Common Than You Think
- The Absurdity of Describing Oneself as an Agnostic...
- Dialogue with an Atheist (video)
- Top Five Apologetics Posts for November
- History Testifies that Jesus Worked Miracles
- Atheists, Your Values Are Showing
- Why Recognizing Right and Wrong Points to God's Ex...
- Making Worldview More Relevant
- Truth Versus Relevance in Today's Culture
- ▼ December (27)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Why Thinking About God Matters
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!