The history of the resurrection of Christ is a part of the evidence of Christianity: but I do not know whether the proper strength of this passage of the Christian history, or wherein its peculiar value, as a head of evidence, consists, be generally understood. It is not that, as a miracle, the resurrection ought to be accounted a more decisive proof of supernatural agency than other miracles are; it is not that as it stands in the Gospels, it is better attested than some others; it is not, for either of these reasons, that more weight belongs to it than to other miracles, but for the following, viz. That it is completely certain that the apostles of Christ, and the first teachers of Christianity, asserted the fact. And this would have been certain, if the four Gospels had been lost, or never written. Every piece of Scripture recognizes the resurrection. Every epistle of every apostle, every author contemporary with the apostles, of the age immediately succeeding the apostles, every writing from that age to the present, genuine or spurious, on the side of Christianity or against it, concur in representing the resurrection of Christ as an article of his history, received without doubt or disagreement by all who called themselves Christians, as alleged from the beginning by the propagators of the institution, and alleged as the center of their testimony. Nothing I apprehend which a man does not himself see or hear can be more certain to him than this point. (Emphasis added.)
William Paley, quoted in A New Edition of Archdeacon Paley's View Of The Evidences Of Christianity Comprising The Text Of Paley, Verbatim. Cambridge: W. Metcalfe, 1831. 339-340.e-book available at https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=Dx1eAAAAcAAJ&rdid=book-Dx1eAAAAcAAJ&rdot=1
- ► 2017 (47)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- 2014 Top Ten Apologetics Blog Posts
- Get Smarter by Practicing Doing Nothing
- Is Christmas a Pagan Holiday? (Podcast)
- Why Thinking About God Matters
- 2014 Top Five Apologetics Podcasts
- Enjoy the Trappings of Christmas
- Why It Must Be a Manger
- You Just Might Be Celebrating a Japanese Christmas
- To Witness Like Jesus, Use Logic and Reason
- Jesus as the Paradigm of Logic and Reason
- A (Not Too) Serious Christmas Quiz
- How Can I Celebrate Peace on Earth With Tragedy In...
- Why Naturalism is Simply Unbelievable
- What the 'Atheist Invocation' Really Demonstrates
- The Resurrection is Central to the History of Jesus
- The Date of Christmas has Nothing to Do with Pagan...
- The Christmas Faith-Defending Challenge
- Monkeys, Typewriters, and Assumptions
- Why Miracles May Be More Common Than You Think
- The Absurdity of Describing Oneself as an Agnostic...
- Dialogue with an Atheist (video)
- Top Five Apologetics Posts for November
- History Testifies that Jesus Worked Miracles
- Atheists, Your Values Are Showing
- Why Recognizing Right and Wrong Points to God's Ex...
- Making Worldview More Relevant
- Truth Versus Relevance in Today's Culture
- ▼ December (27)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Sunday, December 14, 2014
The Resurrection is Central to the History of Jesus
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!