Thanksgiving is a unique holiday in the United States. It recognizes and promotes religious observance in the form of thanking God for His provision not only for our personal lives but for our nation as a whole. In reality, the United States is still a nation of people who hold the spiritual in high regard. You can see that by reviewing some of the past proclamations by our elected representatives as well as how Thanksgiving came to be a recognized holiday in America.
While I'm sure some atheist factions have complained about the supposed conflict between church and state on this one, none have been able to effectively challenge the holiday in a meaningful manner. However, what the atheists have not been able to accomplish, the merchants very well may.
Below, I've collected many of the Thanksgiving observations, quotes, and reflections to help you find the true meaning of the holiday. I personally make sure I reflect and thank God for all he has done for me and blessed me with in the past years and in the years to come.
Reflecting on the Meaning of Thanksgiving
- Why is Thanksgiving an "Accepted" Religious Holiday?
- The Nature of Giving Thanks
- Thanksgiving Binds Us to the Past and the Future
Past Thanksgiving Proclamations
- William Bradford on the Spirit of Thanksgiving
- First Continental Congress Proclamation
- A Thanksgiving Proclamation - U.S. Congress 1782
- What Does Thanksgiving's First Mother Want Us to Know?