If God has given people free will, then there's no guarantee that everybody's going to choose to cooperate with him. The option of forcing everyone to go to heaven is immoral, because it's dehumanizing; it strips them of the dignity of making their own decision; it denies them their freedom of choice; and it treats them as a means to an end.
God can't make people's character for them. And people who do evil or cultivate false beliefs start a slide away from God that ultimately ends in Hell. God respects human freedom. In fact it would be unloving—a sort of divine rape—to force people to accept heaven and God if they didn't really want them. When God allows people to say 'no' to him, he actually respects and dignifies them.
- J.P. Moreland quoted from Lee Strobel's The Case for Faith (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000).
- ► 2017 (47)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- Christians Must Stop Staying Invisible (video)
- You're Smarter than You Think You Are
- Blinding with Science
- Why Didn't God Create a World Where Everyone Would...
- What Will We Remember in Heaven?
- Why Isn't the Skeptic Skeptical About His Morality?
- Why Every Christian Needs to Study Theology
- Postmodernism is Infecting the Church
- Atheist Insults Believers and Is Stunned at the Re...
- Forrest Gump and Jesus' Resurrection
- Atheists Contradict Themselves by Seeking Invocations
- Waiting Until You Feel Your Faith is Dangerous
- Beyond Science: Understanding Real Knowledge
- J.P. Moreland on Why God Won't Force People Into H...
- Reaching Your Community by Intentionally Reaching ...
- How to Get into Spiritual Conversations - Part 2
- Arguing God's Existence Even When There are No Ath...
- Scientism tries to Turn Man into a Monkey
- Digging into the Reliability of the OT Books of Kings
- Ann Coulter is Wrong-People are More than Numbers
- Big Change at Come Reason - August Update
- What is the Uncaused Cause of the Universe?
- Would Rape Be Moral If God Commanded It?
- Thinking Less About Stuff and More About God (video)
- Top Five Come Reason Apologetics Blog Posts for July
- Christians in the Middle Ages Did Not Believe in a...
- ▼ August (26)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Sunday, August 17, 2014
J.P. Moreland on Why God Won't Force People Into Heaven
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!