- Setting the Record Straight - YouTube Video Playlist (Originally tweeted on Sep 28)
- What's Wrong With "Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus"? (Originally tweeted on Jan 13)
- Why I Secretly Root For the Atheists in Debates… (Originally tweeted on Aug 23)
- Billy Graham, Mormonism, and the word "Cult" (Originally tweeted on Oct 23)
- Group sex is the latest 'trend' for teenage girls, disturbing report reveals (Originally tweeted on Dec 29)
- Why do they always ask about rape and incest? (Originally tweeted on Oct 24)
- Planned Parent Info for Teens: It’s great to be a slut (Originally tweeted on Nov 12)
- Come Reason's Free mp3s (Originally tweeted on June 5)
- Answering Bill Nye's Video on Creationism (Originally tweeted on Sept 7)
- Should a Christian Vote for the Lesser of Two Evils? (Originally tweeted on Nov 5)
- ► 2017 (47)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- ► 2014 (287)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Monday, December 31, 2012
Friday, November 02, 2012
British pro-homosexual group creates "bigot" award, despite objections from sponsors. So who's being bigoted now? http://bit.ly/ScyR6Y
One response I received was from Adam Preston, who on his Twitter page describes himself as "atheist. bibliophile. interested in military history, secularism, evolutionary psychology, LGBT rights. member of Labour Party & National Secular Society." Below is our entire exchange. I think this is helpful in showing why asking questions can play a key role in discussions with others.
@comereason: What're the essential attributes of a bigot? People throw these terms around too much without clearly knowing what they mean.
@adam_preston: I'd say wanting to deny equal rights to LGBT people because of your religion constitutes bigotry
@comereason: That's not what I asked. What are the necessary conditions to be labeled a bigot in any sense? Don't deflect the issue.
@adam_preston: Inflexibile intolerance and prejudice towards a group of people. I think that applies to most vocal anti-equalmarriage people
@comereason: By using prejudice you beg the question. Regardless, I am intolerant of serial killers. Is that bigotry?
@adam_preston: Was expecting that response. Although usually it's paedophiles, not serial killers. Intolerance of serial killers is RATIONAL
@comereason: So if the intolerance against a person is rational, it is not bigotry. Is that your view?
@adam_preston: In the sense that intolerance of child abusers & serial killers is not bigotry, while racism and sexism are, yes.
@comereason: Can you tell me why racism or sexism is irrational while the others aren't? What makes one belief rational and another isn't?
@adam_preston: Child abuse and murder are clearly harmful to individuals and society. How is equality harmful and how are gays dangerous?
@comereason: Is physical harm the only basis for rational intolerance? Can I be intolerant of cheaters or drunks if they harm no one else?
@adam_preston: Intolerance of them would be wrong, yes. Believing it's wrong to CHEAT is one thing. Intolerance of all who have is different
@comereason: I completely agree!! Being intolerant of the actions of cheating is different than being bigoted against the cheaters.
Do I think the above exchange has changed Adam's mind and he will stop labeling those who are for traditional marriage bigots? No, I don't. But it may help clarify the issue in the minds of others reading the exchange and it does allow me to hold Adam to his own standard if he confronts me again.
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!