"The physiologist studies the development of the first cell of each new human baby into a full-grown adult. The evolutionary biologist studies the forces which have formed the genetic structure of such a first cell. But relatively seldom do either of these scientists point out that their descriptions and explanations cover only the evolution of the physical characteristics of man, and that they give no account of the evolution of the most important characteristics of man-the characteristics of his conscious life, his feelings and desires, hopes and beliefs, those characteristics in virtue of his possession of which we treat men, and think that we ought to treat men, as totally different from machines. Most philosophers of the past four centuries have been well aware of the difference between the conscious life of a man and goings-on in his body. but their views have relatively seldom made any significant difference to the writing and teaching of biologists and physiologists.—Richard Swineburne The Evolution of the Soul.Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2007.3.
"Scientists have tended to regard the life of conscious experience as peripheral, not central to understanding man. But there is so much and so rich human experience, and experience which is apparently continuous and is causally efficacious that this attitude will not do. His life of experience has to be taken seriously if we are to understand man."
- Good Arguments Aren't Enough in Defending the Fait...
- Banning God from Government isn't Neutral
- Do Religious Candidates Pose a Threat for Atheist ...
- Does "We Believe as We Are Taught" Explain Christi...
- Abortion and the S.L.E.D. Argument
- You Need an End Game for the Origin of Life
- 350 Year Old Frenchman Talks About Facebook
- Undermining Morality in Medical Care
- There is No Freedom without Religious Freedom
- Are Christians not to Judge Non-Christians?
- Was Jesus' Tomb Really Empty?
- Overcoming the Conspiracy Against Christianity
- It's Crippling to Believe Only in Science
- Critics of God Ignore the Biggest Part in the Prob...
- "Where Two or Three are Gathered" Doesn't Mean Wha...
- Using Ultimate Evil to Answer the Problem of Evil
- Just What is This Evil We Object to, Anyway?
- Questioning Our Over-Reliance on Science (video)
- Talking Wrong and Testimony as Trustworthy
- Belief without Evidence is Crucial for Knowledge
- Talking to Family about Christmas (podcast)
- Science Cannot Ignore Where Consciousness Comes Fr...
- 2015 Top Five Apologetics Podcast Topics
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2015 (325)
- ► 2014 (287)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Saturday, January 02, 2016
Science Cannot Ignore Where Consciousness Comes From
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!