- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- ► 2014 (287)
- Why is Thanksgiving an "Accepted" Religious Holida...
- Debunking 'Bible Secrets' Television Shows
- What to Think About the Atheist Church Movement?
- 1908 Writer Describes 21st Century with Amazing Ac...
- How Hard is It to Change a Belief?
- How Do You Change a Belief?
- Retiring the Cliche "If You Can Talk Someone into ...
- The One Question Mormons Hope You Don't Ask
- How Heresies Tried to Change Scripture
- Don't Avoid the JWs, or You May Lose a Christian!
- ▼ November (10)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Saturday, November 16, 2013
Debunking 'Bible Secrets' Television Shows
Every year before Christmas and Easter, the media turns to stories about religion to try and boost their audiences. Like clockwork, the History Channel has just begun a series titled "Bible Secrets Discovered". This is the latest in a genre (including "The Bible's Buried Secrets," "Jesus Family Tomb" and others) that seeks to publicize some novel scriptural understanding that undermines the Bible's credibility. Are their charges true?
Below is a four-part audio series plus a two page downloadable PDF outline where I show how these 'Bible Secrets' shows engage ins a bit of misdirection to achieve their goals. More P.T. Barnum than true scholarship, when examining the facts thoughtfully, one can quickly see why these shows present an emperor who has no clothes.
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!