Similarly, we study theology to get to know God better, to develop a deeper relationship with him and to understand what it is He cares about so we can care about those things, too.
Theology will help us love God more fully
- We study theology to help answer Jesus’ question of “Who do people say that I am?”
- We all have opinions about God, so we are all “practicing theologians.” Therefore the study of theology simply helps us to form right beliefs about questions and opinions we are already forming.
- A systematic study of God will help us know Him more accurately and therefore more intimately.
- Romans 12:1-2 commands us to present ourselves as a sacrifice and to renew our minds to discern the perfect will of God.
Theology will help us know ourselves better
- Theology helps us to see ourselves more clearly in relation to God. Our sin nature tends to weaken our view of sin and diminish our understanding of holiness. Good theology helps to restore that balance.
- In Romans 12:3, Paul admonishes the believers to engage their minds, writing: “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.” Thinking soberly includes analysis of what God has revealed.
Theology will help us mature in our Christian walk
- “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (2 Tim 3:16)