Truth and reality do not adapt to us. It is up to us to adapt to them. A four thousand year old tradition does not become truer as the years go by. If it is false or wrong, it simply continues to be a long-standing error. If it is popular, it is widespread. If adopted by the powerful, it is authoritative. But it is still wrong. Acceptance of its right to exist in a pluralistic society does not make it any more correct, and will be of no help to those following it when they finally run into reality.
Some of my intellectual friends say that this is true in the domain of "fact," but that religion is the realm of "faith." They are victims of the unfortunate delusion of current culture that "fact" is limited to what is sense-perceptible. Hence they say that whether past or current living species where created by God or not, for example, is a matter of "faith." The implication is that for faith things are, somehow, as you think them to be. Much of what is now written in support of pluralism or "inclusivism" in religion assumes that there is no "way things are" with God, or at least that we cannot know how they are. Hence all views of God are said to be equally true because all are equally in the dark--an astonishingly fallacious inference.
— Dallas Willard, "Being a Christian in a Pluralistic Society"
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- Modern Heresies and the Christian Response
- Defending the Trinity Against World Religions (vid...
- Thanksgiving Binds Us to the Past and the Future
- Trade Your Thanks for Desire - Doors Open at 6PM
- Evangelicals Shouldn't Ignore Christian Iconograph...
- Christianity is a Thinking-Man's Faith
- Why Won't God Heal Amputees? (video)
- One Reason Why Jesus Cannot be Mythical
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith #8 – Be Confident!
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith #7 – Be Gracious
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith #6 – Prepare and Seek ...
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith #5 - Look for Logical ...
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith #4 - Avoid Smokescreen...
- How Not to Show You Have Truth...
- Why The Trinity Is Not a Contradiction (video)
- Morality Relies Upon God's Character, Not Simply H...
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith: #3 – Give them enough...
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith: #2 – Listen to Peopl...
- Tips for Sharing Your Faith: #1 - Slow Down!
- The Difference Between God Being Understandable an...
- Building Faith Muscles in Your Kids
- Truth and Inclusivism
- Top Five Apologetics Posts for October
- What is Middle Knowledge?
- The Virtue of God's Hiddenness
- Missing Gospels Make Me More Confident in the Bibl...
- What If You Can't Be Reasonable Without Faith?
- Heresies and Scripture - Podcast
- Christianity Properly Diagnoses the Human Conditon...
- ▼ November (29)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Sunday, November 09, 2014
Truth and Inclusivism
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!