Let us not think that we really have a choice between having a theology and not having one. We all have our theologies, for we all have a way of putting things together in our own minds that, if we are Christian, has a shape that arises from our knowledge of God and his Word. We might not be conscious of the process. Indeed, we frequently are not. But at the very least we will organize our perceptions into some sort of pattern that scans to make sense to us. The question at issue, then, is not whether we will have a theology but whether it will be a good or bad one, whether we will become conscious of our thinking processes or not, and, more particularly, whether we will learn to bring all of our thoughts into obedience to Christ or not. The biblical authors had a theology in this sense, after all, and so too did Jesus. He explained himself in terms of biblical revelation, understood his life and work in relation to God, and viewed all of life from this perspective. He had a worldview that originated in the purposes and character of his Father and that informed everything he said and did. (Emphasis added.)
- ► 2016 (122)
- ► 2015 (325)
- Christians Must Stop Staying Invisible (video)
- You're Smarter than You Think You Are
- Blinding with Science
- Why Didn't God Create a World Where Everyone Would...
- What Will We Remember in Heaven?
- Why Isn't the Skeptic Skeptical About His Morality...
- Why Every Christian Needs to Study Theology
- Postmodernism is Infecting the Church
- Atheist Insults Believers and Is Stunned at the Re...
- Forrest Gump and Jesus' Resurrection
- Atheists Contradict Themselves by Seeking Invocati...
- Waiting Until You Feel Your Faith is Dangerous
- Beyond Science: Understanding Real Knowledge
- J.P. Moreland on Why God Won't Force People Into H...
- Reaching Your Community by Intentionally Reaching ...
- How to Get into Spiritual Conversations - Part 2
- Arguing God's Existence Even When There are No Ath...
- Scientism tries to Turn Man into a Monkey
- Digging into the Reliability of the OT Books of Ki...
- Ann Coulter is Wrong-People are More than Numbers
- Big Change at Come Reason - August Update
- What is the Uncaused Cause of the Universe?
- Would Rape Be Moral If God Commanded It?
- Thinking Less About Stuff and More About God (vide...
- Top Five Come Reason Apologetics Blog Posts for Ju...
- Christians in the Middle Ages Did Not Believe in a...
- ▼ August (26)
- ► 2013 (141)
- ► 2012 (28)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (36)
- ► 2009 (11)
Come Reason's Apologetics Notes blog will highlight various news stories or current events and seek to explore them from a thoughtful Christian perspective. Less formal and shorter than the www.comereason.org Web site articles, we hope to give readers points to reflect on concerning topics of the day.
Sunday, August 24, 2014
Why Every Christian Needs to Study Theology
Get the latest news and articles delivered to your inbox each month - absolutely free!